Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Peru - Day 11 & 12 - THE END!



Monday, May 26, 2008

Today was a nice day, relatively relaxing! I was up with the sun, again not intentionally, but it was beautiful! I walked around the property a bit and enjoyed an amazing breakfast – the breakfast buffets in these hotels have been amazing!

After breakfast, I took a nap, but was up in time to meet Betty for another Incan ruin tour and then off to the Juliaca airport for my trip to Lima.

The day was beautiful and we drove an hour outside of Puno to Sillustani. There are funerary tours, both Incan and pre-Incan. Pretty amazing cylinder structures used as tombs. Plus, the views of the surrounding lake are really breathtaking. We climbed around for about an hour and then it was back in the van for another hour as we drove to Juliaca so that I could catch the plane to Lima.

An hour later, I landed in Lima, walked 40 steps across the street and arrived at the hotel. No more 5-star hotels for me; although, this Ramada is perfectly nice! AND I am back at sea-level with I like MUCH better!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I SLEPT! I slept from 8pm until 6am! Yeah! Being right across from the airport, I woke up when the first planes took off this morning. I put on my running shoes and took off for a run.

Another amazing breakfast buffet and then I walked across the street to the airport to hit the duty-free shops. The airport also had a Starbucks AND a Dunkin’ Donuts! I know, I already had breakfast, but a blueberry donut was calling me name!

After a little shopping, I headed back to the hotel to wait for my guide show me Lima! Unfortunately, the guide never showed…. So I hopped in a cab and just toured the city with my guidebook, but in all the excitement, I forgot my camera in the lobby. Thankfully, I don’t think I missed much as Lima didn’t seem to be that exciting. But… oh well.

Right now, I am packing and am going to take a quick nap since I have to be at the airport at 3am! I fly from Lima to Miami to Dallas to LA. First Class frequent flyer award ticket meant... I take whatever route I could get! I do have a two-hour layover in Dallas and my parents have already promised to buy me NACHOS! I can hardly wait!

Thanks for taking this journey with me – I hope you enjoyed it!

Love, Kathleen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, I am sad to see this journey come to an end. I was with you every step of the way, you painted such a vivid picture. Thanks for letting the travel-timid amongst us live vicariously through you. Do they have poodles in Peru? Just wondering.