Saturday, May 24, 2008

Peru - Day 4, Supplement

I noticed in re-reading the blog from Day 4 that I left off the return tour of Arequipa! I included the pictures, but forgot to talk about exploring the town. So in case you were losing sleep over my oversight:

We explored Arequipa a bit. I took some great pictures of the city from the city “balconies”. We also visited a garden and a guinea pig "farm." The town has some amazing churches, one in particular, La Catedral, was stunning and had the most beautiful pipe organ. I couldn’t get over how big it was, apparently imported from Belgium. The city also has a beautiful town square – Plaza de Armas.

But one of my favorite parts was the Monasterio de Santa Catalina. It is a beautiful convent, still in use today, but a majority of the “compound” is for tourists. It was/is a city within the walls. Now, it only houses 28 nuns, but the grounds are a neat glimpse into colonial Peru. It is a bit disorienting with its narrow streets, hidden staircases, and tiny living quarters. I took a tour and the tour guide had only been speaking English for two months and her English was flawless…

It was interesting to note that much of the city of Arequipa lies in the valley below El Misti, an active volcano. I wonder what their property insurance costs…? Apparently you can also hike to the top of El Misti, but robberies are common, you need an ice ax and it is 19K ft high! Chachani is also a local Volcano that many people climb, but it is 800ft higher. But both are “active” volcanoes, won’t catch me climbing them!

Love,
Kathleen

No comments: